RSS

Dad: Abandoned and Alone

12 Sep

I sit here by myself wondering what happened. Wondering what happened, and how it happened so quickly.

Why did it come to this?

Where did I go wrong?

A quick glance at my phone provides a few moments of company, but even that brief interaction won’t fill the void that I have. I’m alone. I’ve been abandoned.

The high pitched sound of laughter is gone. The ease of conversation has long since faded away. The proud looks my wife and I would share when one of the boys said “please” or “thank you” are now but a memory. I even miss the fighting. Who had the matchbox car first? Why is this one’s hand so close to the other one’s arm? Is it the end of the world or did little brother just eat big brother’s corn? The very same corn that only moments earlier big brother adamantly declared he wasn’t going to eat. Go figure.

The good and the bad, I miss it all.

Sure there are times in marriage when I yearn to be alone. A long day of work followed by a rough commute home often leaves me with a healthy appetite for silence. Silence often not achieved in our house until well after 9pm. Silence that is about as close as Antarctica when sitting at the dinner table with two picky eaters. But now that I have this silence, I find that I really don’t want it. Grass is always greener, right?

I glance around at my surroundings.

You know how you never really notice car commercials until you are actively looking to buy a car? That’s pretty much how I feel at this moment. Seemingly everyone in my vicinity was with their family. Sharing a laugh with a loved one while separating the kids from each other during a minor dust up, smiles on their faces as they shake their heads knowingly.

Me? I was alone. Abandoned and alone.

“Your check sir. Oh my, where did your family go?”

“Thank you. There was a meltdown and everyone’s already in the car.”

Brad the Dad can be reached at bradmarmo@gmail.com. Follow him on Facebook or Twitter at keyword: readbradthedad

This article originally appeared on Chelmsford Patch on 9/9/12.

Advertisements

15 Comments

Posted by on September 12, 2012 in Brad the Dad, Chelmsford Patch

Tags: , , ,

15 responses to “Dad: Abandoned and Alone

1. Kevin of SportsDadHub

September 12, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Ah yeah. Gotta love the public meltdown. My 5-year old thru an epic one in the grocery store a few months ago. All because I wouldn’t get Lunchables for him. Stupid Lunchables.

2. Brad the Dad

September 12, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Lunchables again! This is like the 10th time in the past few days I’ve seen Lunchables mentioned. Is something up that I don’t know about? (Thanks for reading.)

3. EduDad

September 12, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Love this! You had me hooked making that punchline so sweet.

• Brad the Dad

September 12, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Haha! Thanks. I believe this was one of my shortest posts ever and was definitely inspired by some of your posts where you do that “short but powerful” thing. Thanks for the showing me the way James.

• EduDad

September 13, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Thank you. It’s positive feedback like this a writer (or anyone) needs to let them know they’re on the right track and to help them feel proud of what they’re doing. You made me feel proud. Thanks.

4. post post modern dad (@ppmdad)

September 12, 2012 at 5:32 PM

yeah, that’s almost every time we go out to eat. Great setup, great execution.

• Brad the Dad

September 12, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Thanks. It’s become pretty much standard procedure for us these days as the almost 2yo either gets his way or screams at the top of his lungs during the post food time period. All too often recently it’s been me, my iPhone, and a half a beer chilling out waiting for the check. Don’t let the article fool you, it’s really not that bad.

5. JB

September 12, 2012 at 5:41 PM

I was looking for the tragedy… sad about what it may be, then I realized that you fooled me! Well, played sir… Well played!

• Brad the Dad

September 12, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Thank you, thank you. :::taking an Internet bow::: The first couple of times this happened I totally felt like a loser, sitting there by myself with a table full of messy, half-eaten plates of food, corn all over the floor, and pieces of crayon strewn everywhere while everyone looked at me like I was the sole culprit. Now I just kick back, jump on Twitter and finish my beer in style. #seasonedpro

6. adisneydad

September 13, 2012 at 8:32 AM

Love that moment. I might even get myself another beer.

• Brad the Dad

September 13, 2012 at 8:49 AM

I agree strange Disney dad, and thank you for reading. Too bad you’re not as witty as that @DaddysinCharge fella.

7. Tracy @ Momaical

November 8, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Hahahahahaha love this! I have spent many ear-splitting minutes forcefully placing children in their carseats post-restaurant-meltdown while my husband waits for the check. Very. Long. Minutes. I’m guessing he’s having another beer with ADisneyDad. Sigh….

Tracy @ Momaical

• Brad the Dad

November 8, 2012 at 2:20 PM

See, this is the part I’m missing. I must coordinate my efforts with other dads and turn such moments of abandonment into borderline bachelor parties. 😉